Frequent painful urination, perineal discomfort, pyrexia, decreased potency and libido are problems that 80% of men aged 45-50 face, but most of them put off a visit to the doctor until the painit becomes unbearable. Unpleasant symptoms indicate inflammation of the prostate that requires urgent treatment: prostatitis in men quickly becomes chronic and can lead to infertility, sexual dysfunction and oncology.
What is prostatitis
The prostate gland is an organ that resembles a chestnut fruit in size and shape and is located under the bladder. Its bottom is bordered by the groin. The prostate in men performs the following functions: secretory - the production of sex hormones and secretions that determine the quality of sperm and barrier - the separation of the processes of ejaculation and urination.
The second name of the gland is commonly used to denote a common ailment that affects about half of the male population: the older the man, the greater the risk of getting sick - prostatitis is rarely diagnosed in 20-25 year old boys. The disease is dangerous with serious complications, so it is important to recognize it at an early stage.
The therapeutic course lasts up to 14 days, for a few more months the patient is required to strictly adhere to preventive measures. If the disease has managed to take a chronic form, the risk of recurrence is 50%.
Treatment of the prostate gland in men is sometimes delayed for years. The disease temporarily takes an asymptomatic course to remind itself after a few months with a sharp decrease in immunity, violation of the intestinal microflora and other stressful situations for the body. Male prostate disease has several forms:
- Acute. It is characterized by a bacterial infection of the tissues of the prostate gland. Typical signs are severe pain syndrome, a critical rise in temperature. It is necessary to treat the disease in a hospital setting;
- Chronic bacterial. Periodic relief of symptoms is often perceived as a sign of healing, but this is an illusion: each subsequent exacerbation is more severe than the previous ones due to the development of purulent foci, the appearance of neoplasms;
- Asymptomatic. The absence of symptoms with the active development of the disease. Such a prostate in men is often detected by chance, according to the results of urinalysis;
- Granulomatous. Cessation of the functioning of the gland due to the overgrowth of connective tissue;
- Pelvic pain syndrome. Difficult form to diagnose, accompanied by constant painful sensations in the pelvic region, neurological and psychoemotional disorders.
What does the prostate mean in men? First of all, the diagnosis means the need to reconsider your lifestyle, be patient and follow the doctor's recommendations - it may take a long time to be treated.
What are the causes of prostate in men?
The exact algorithm for the onset of the inflammatory process in the prostate gland has not been established, but a pattern has been revealed: the likelihood of getting sick increases with a decrease in general immunity. Why is this happening? Infectious pathogens, which enter the mucous membranes of a healthy person, are in a "dormant" state and do not spread until the protective functions of the body are weakened. This is how the male prostate begins to develop.
Factors that increase the risk:
- Injuries and bruises of the perineum;
- Sexually transmitted diseases;
- Inactive lifestyle, sedentary work;
- Inadequate sex life;
- Contraception by interruption of intercourse (incomplete ejaculation occurs);
- Stress, neurosis, depression;
- Bad habits: alcohol abuse, smoking;
- Drug poisoning.
Doctors also point out a link between the fad of tight pants that tighten the genitals and increased morbidity. Prostate gland symptoms in men who prefer skinny jeans are much more common than those who adhere to a loose fit.
Permanent prostatitis in men is a consequence of improper treatment (or its complete absence) of acute inflammation of the prostate. Causes of exacerbations: sexually transmitted diseases, stressful situations at work and in the family, forced restriction of emptying the rectum or bladder, wearing tight underwear made of synthetic fabrics.
An additional factor is congestion in the small pelvis due to poor mobility. A patient who has experienced on himself what the prostate is in men in acute form must take all measures to prevent relapses: first of all walking more on foot to activate blood circulation.
Prostate gland inflamed in men's symptoms
There are three types of the course of this form of the disease: catarrhal, follicular, parenchymal (the most dangerous). In the first case, the malaise begins with pulling pains in the pubic region and a slight increase in temperature. Soon, a man notices discomfort when urinating or intercourse, a persistent feeling of fatigue.
The follicular type is characterized by severe pain in the penis and lower back: it does not allow complete emptying of the bowels and bladder. If left untreated, the third type of disease develops.
Parenchymal prostate in men what is it? Difficulty urinating turns into complete urinary retention, body temperature reaches 39-40 degrees, mucous discharge from the rectum appears. The condition is serious and requires immediate hospitalization.
The symptomatology of this form is often fuzzy, unexpressed, which complicates the diagnosis. The pain syndrome becomes permanent, is localized in the lower abdomen and is tolerated quite easily. Discomfort increases after intimacy.
Urination is slightly difficult: the flow of urine is intermittent. Desires become more frequent. After physical exertion, unusual discharge appears on the head of the penis. Erectile dysfunction is possible. The temperature is maintained around 37 - 37. 3 C.
If symptoms of chronic prostatitis are observed in men, treatment should not be postponed: slow inflammation can lead to infertility.
A timely visit to a urologist is the best solution for suspected inflammation of the prostate gland. During the appointment, the doctor will ask some questions about the state of health and will review the patient's medical record to collect a medical history. In addition, an external examination and palpation of the organ through the rectum are performed.
To clarify the diagnosis, a number of studies are assigned:
- Secret analysis;
- Ultrasound of the prostate;
- Sampling of PCR material;
- MRI of the pelvic organs.
If necessary, the speed of urine flow during urination is measured with a special device, a uroflowmeter. The measurements are carried out in the clinic: the patient empties the bladder into a special vessel equipped with a sensor, which, at the end of the process, displays a graphic image.
Prostate gland in the treatment of men
Before prescribing a course of treatment, it is important to identify all the factors that provoked the inflammatory process. When the exact cause of prostatitis in men is discovered, treatment is more productive. The urologist develops an individual comprehensive program that includes the following elements:
- Pharmacological therapy. With viral etiology, antiviral drugs are prescribed, and with an infectious lesion antibacterial drugs. In parallel, anti-inflammatory suppositories and creams, immunostimulating agents and, if necessary, analgesics are used;
- Physiotherapy. The method is determined based on the picture of the disease. It can be electrophoresis, magnetotherapy, laser sessions, UHF;
- Massage. The procedure is performed by the doctor or (after training) by the patient's spouse - emotional comfort and family support are of great importance to the sick person. Massage improves the outflow of purulent inflammatory secretions from the ducts of the prostate gland.
The effectiveness of the prescribed therapy is evaluated after 10-14 days: if there is a positive trend, the course continues after a short break. In the absence of improvements, it is decided to cancel some drugs and procedures, replacing them with others.
The prostate in men, symptoms and treatment is a topic that every member of the stronger sex who has reached reproductive age should study in detail. Awareness of preventive measures will help avoid inflammation.
How to protect yourself from prostatitis? It is recommended to avoid hypothermia and unprotected sex, regularly get tested for sexually transmitted diseases. It is necessary to empty the bladder in a timely manner, choose baggy pants.